Monday 8 October 2007

Great games, managed to break even, doh!

A second consecutive week of disappointment. There was loads of action this week; loads of crazy play; lots of big pots; lots of bluffing.

I played about 13 hours this week, as the games were so good, but I managed to lose money. Only a $59 loss, but still gut-wrenching after some of the big pots I won. Overall, in the big pots, I got my money in really well (approx 18% edge) but this was offset by lots of small and medium losses. Maybe I splashed around too much in the smaller pots, so that by the time I played a big pot they decided I was a loose gambler and decided to give too much action.

I played quite a bit short-handed this week and this is where my worst play came. I tried to win too many pots, but I think ultimately I failed because I didnt fire the final barrel often enough. I wasnt quite aggressive enough: maybe because subconsciously I wanted to avoid the worst of the variance.

I really should stick to full-ring for the time being.

On Sunday night I had the worst session of the week. This basically wiped out any profit I had made so far in the week: pretty much the same as I did the week before.

My last few hands of the week summed up my bad play. I had been playing heads-up against a tight-aggressive player, when I failed to raise him off A10 on an A4789 board. I raised his turn bet with no-pair/no-draw and he called a big bet on the river too. I think if I had seen his cards I wold have probably still made the same move.

Soon after that the table became 4 or 5 handed and I called a raise from him with the button and 63 of diamonds. The flop came A67 and I called his flop bet, before the killer 6 came on the turn and we got all-in. He had the nut full-house, and I thought it best to leave and call it a night there.

These two loose plays symptomised how bad my play had become. These are not mistakes that I normally make. I should have recognised that I was off my game and left immediately. Maybe this is something I can learn from.

Lets hope the rest of the month goes OK

1 comment:

Cottlad said...

Aah you is a Hully too i see. You never get dow Napoleons at all then? Wish they'd sort out a decent tourny for once :-(

Have linked you up