Monday 12 November 2007

After the Lord Mayor's show....

I had a losing week this week. I had a bad session on Wednesday, losing $1500 or thereabouts, recovered with a good session on Friday but recorded another Sunday loss – this time just over $500 – to finish the week down $770.

Whenever I have losses I always like to review what’s happened to see if I could have done anything different. Actually, the answer is the same as when I have won: there are always things I could have done better and in itself that is a positive.

There have been a lot more winning weeks than losers in the last 3 or 4 months and overall I am nicely ahead. However, it still feels a bit weird losing, and that is something I need to keep an eye on as I don’t want the fear of losing to creep into my game.

What’s interesting is that I can now almost totally ignore the cash-flow element of the game and concentrate on the theoretical win/loss. Here’s an example from this week:

I limp in early position for $10 with AK suited. A fairly tight short-stack ($230) makes it $55 to go and a loose-goose (who has my $1100 covered) calls. I know I have the loose-goose beat and am happy to gamble for $230 against the shorty’s range here, but I want to give myself the best opportunity to make the loose-goose fold pre-flop as I am out of position with lots left to bet. I re-raise to $110, so allowing the shorty to go all-in, and thus forcing the loose-goose to possibly face a decision for all of his chips. If he calls the $230 I will without doubt go all-in for $1100. Anyway, LG folds and I call the extra $120 to see all 5 cards.

When all the cards are out there is a possible flush on board and a 1-card straight. I make TPTK on the 9J2,K,Q board and shorty takes it with a flush (Ace-Ten). I am more than happy to see the chips slide his way, as long as he had to get lucky to win them.

No comments: